The first Sunday School for Mount Zion was started in the Sumter County Court House with about ten members around 1894. During this time, there was not a permanent pastor. Different ministers were called to serve from time to time. For approximately three years the church services were held in the Courthouse. The church then moved to the Investment Hall on West Liberty Street. At that time the first minister was named, Rev. Simon Taylor. The daughter of Rev. Simon Taylor, Mrs. Hattie Taylor, who later became Mrs. Hattie Brunson, was the first Sunday School Superintendent.
After a short period of time the church was moved to the Lincoln School during a time period of about ten years. Then the church bought the building next to the school on Council Street. After a period of years, the building was torn down and rebuilt under the leadership of the Rev. A.J. Johnson. Later, the next building was torn down and rebuilt under the leadership of the new Pastor, Rev. J.P. Garrick. Rev. Garrick was the Pastor from 1915-1943. In 1964, a new pastor was named, Rev. R.W. Stalling. Rev. Stalling was the Pastor from 1944-1983. In 1984, Rev. James Blassingame became the Pastor, and he continues to lead until the present.
"We are the little church with the big heart."
THE MISSION STATEMENT-The Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church of Sumter is an organized body of Baptist believers, equal in rank and privilege, has as its mission to exalt Jesus Christ as the savior, and to proclaim his Gospel through Christian education as mandated in Matthew 28: 19-20.